Friday, June 3, 2011

What has happened this week

Tuesday MD Anderson in Houston called me, I have a case manager assigned to my case already.  We discussed what I needed to have sent to them via fax and what I needed to bring in my hands to my first appointment.  They were willing to try to get me down there to see a doctor the week of June 6th, but then I informed them that I have a bone biopsy here in the works, but I could cancel that and come down there for the biopsy if that is what they felt would be most beneficial.  They told me to have the bone biopsy done here in KC first, since it was already in the works.  So, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I was on the phone or at doctor's appointments from 8:00-5:00, non-stop on the phone coordination in between appointments.  I was so mentally and physically exhausted I hurt everywhere.  I ached all over and could even feel my breast expanders ache under my skin with breath.  Lately, hot salt baths, relaxing music, meditation, and hot lavender tea have been my comfort.  Well my therapist, meds and amazing support system(you know who you are) helps a ton too!  I have been successful with meditation recently and I describe it like this.  I just have a "knowing" about certain things these days, I am more centered, and maybe because my physical body is weakening this allows my spiritual body to be more sensitive and allows me to be more open and to hear what I need to.  I have a knowing that MD Anderson is where I need to be, I told Sean, it is not a knowing that they have a cure for me but it is a knowing that something good/positive awaits me there.  Sean had 3 different stories told to him this week about women in my particular scenario and MD Anderson has been able to put them in remission!  Houston, here we come!

Things are falling into place for us to go to Houston.  I met with the doctor who would be doing my bone biopsy yesterday, I really liked him.  However, some of the things we talked about really brings the severity of my case into my face.  He said that I had plenty of options for biopsy sites, which I asked for clarification on. He said I have 3-4 ribs with enough cancer in them for biopsy, also enough in vertebra 8-11 and then 1-2 vertebra a little lower, some on my left shoulder blade, and some on the tip of my right pelvic/hip bone.  So hearing all of those "significant" sites was sad, and didn't even mention the smaller areas.  The doctor has elected to take the biopsy from my 11th vertebra.  He explained he will use a large needle and hit it with a hammer to get it into my bone.  Awesome.  I said what is the probability that you get into my spinal cord or weaken the vertebra to a point that I have back problems or some other issue.  He said the probability was extremely small and my body should be able to heal itself.  He said that b/c I was young my bone would most likely fill itself back in, but in some elderly patients that he has had and a fracture occurred they are able to go back in and fill the fracture with a bone like cement.  Awesome.  So I am scheduled for this procedure on Wed June 8th @ 8:00.

I spoke with MD Anderson this morning and they said that they would most likely call me by the end of today and schedule my appointment with them for Monday June 13th.  That's all I have for now!  Much love & In Celebration!  Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment